A crunchy, tangy kohlrabi apple salad with red pepper, goji berries, walnuts and feta cheese in a raspberry-honey vinaigrette. Awesome as a starter or as a light meal on its own.
- To prepare the kohlrabi, wash and peel off the tough outer skin and thinly slice the kohlrabi. And cut the apple and red pepper into thin sticks too.
- To make the dressing, add all the dressing ingredients in a jar, close tightly and vigorously shake the jar to blend all of the ingredients.
- Place the mixed greens in a serving dish. Top with kohlrabi, apple and red pepper. Add the crumbled Feta, toasted walnuts and goji berries. Pour some dressing over and toss to combine.
Peaches and grapes add sweetness to this healthy green bean salad that everyone is sure to love and it gets an earthy boost and richness from the addition of black truffles and buttery pine nuts. The salad has a beautiful contrast of bright colours, textures and flavours and makes a wonderful accompaniment to any meal.
- Add all ingredients for the dressing to a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Taste and season. Pour into a jar with lid and chill until ready to use.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add trimmed beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in iced water.
- Drain and place them in a salad bowl. Add the sliced peaches, grapes, if using, and drizzle with the prepared dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- Place on a serving platter. Sprinkle with pine nuts and sliced truffle. Serve.
Starring homegrown cucumber, this refreshing Greek-style salad is perfect for a fast and fresh side. It is simple to make and packed with flavour and freshness.
hickpea and Cucumber salad with Yoghurt Dressingadapted from taste
- Combine chickpeas, cucumber, diced peppers, spring onions and mint leaves in a large bowl.
- Mix yoghurt and garlic together and season with salt and pepper. Fold through chickpea mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
A classic English shortcrust pastry, adapted from taste, with a hidden layer of raspberry jam, on top of which is a almond-flavoured cake and a topping of flaked almonds. It freezes well and makes a wonderful treat for afternoon tea.
- Make Sweet Shortcrust Pastry: Place flour, sugar, vanilla powder and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add yolk and iced water. Process until pastry just comes together, adding extra water if necessary. Turn out pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease and line a 28cm square springform pan. Press the pastry into the bottom of the prepared pan. Prick the base with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with pie weights or uncooked beans and blind-bake for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and paper. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until base is light golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Spread the pastry case with raspberry jam, leaving a 1cm gap around the edge. Reduce oven temperature to 160C/320F.
- Cream butter, raw sugar and vanilla powder until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in almond meal, spelt flour and baking powder. Spread the filling over the jam and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until nicely golden brown and the filling is just firm to the touch. Stand in pan to cool completely. Cut into slices and serve.
Beat the heat with this light, juicy, and amazingly refreshing watermelon salad drizzled with a sweet, tart and fruity fig balsamic vinegar syrup. You can crumble over some feta to add a savoury bite and chopped pistachios for an added crunch to this fruit salad.
Cherry, Raspberry and Watermelon salad with Fig Balsamic Syrupadapted from taste
- Use a large sharp knife to cut the watermelon into 1cm-thick slices. Use 3cm, 6cm and 8cm star-shaped pastry cutters to cut shapes from the watermelon.
- Arrange the watermelon, cherries, raspberries and lemon balm leaves on a serving platter. Drizzle the syrup over and serve immediately.