Search Angie's Recipes


Fast-fried Sliced Lotus Roots With Bean Sauce

Labels: { , , }



Easy, healthy, and delicious lotus root ! Lotus root is the root of the lotus plant. It can be used as a salad, or stuffed with glutinous rice and steamed as dessert, or squeezed into a drink, or stir-fries, or double-boiled with pork spare-ribs as a popular summer time soup, which, according to my mum, helps to clear the heat and improve the appetite.

  • 250 g Lotus roots
  • 50 g Ground pork
  • 1 tbsp Corn oil
  • 1 tsp Jiafan rice wine
  • 3-5 Dried chillies
  1. Fill a pot of cold tap water with a tablespoon of vinegar. Peel and clean lotus root. Slice the lotus root and put them into the vinegar water to prevent lotus roots from browning.
  2. Heat up a pan with oil and add chillies. Stir-fry a bit before adding spring onions and ground pork. Stir for 30 seconds, then add bean sauces, rice wine and lotus root slices. Splash the chicken stock and cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 seconds. Dribble in the sesame oil Serve hot.



10 comments:

Anonymous 4/4/09 14:10

I've never had lotus roots - what is it most similar to as far as taste?

[Reply]
Joie de vivre 4/4/09 19:04

I've never seen lotus root! How interesting!

[Reply]
Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) 4/4/09 19:15

This looks delish.Lotus stem,seed and root are commonly used in India-there's also a pudding made with the seed :-)

[Reply]
Lavanya 4/4/09 19:45

i am new to lotus roots..where can I find these roots..looks so good angie!!

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 4/4/09 20:09

@5 Star Foodie and Joie de vivre
I think it tastes like yam.....well, not quite sure, but it's very healthy, esp. it stimulates the digestive function.
@sweta, yes, I know this root vegetable is also used in Indian kitchen. The seeds cooked with snow fungus is a popular dessert too.
@Lavanya, I got it from an Asian store.

[Reply]
昕倩 5/4/09 15:47

Hi angie

O..I luv lotus...

look good.. I will try someday but without spicy.....heee!

thanks for sharing!

[Reply]
chumpman 7/4/09 08:35

Love lotus root especially wtih pork ribs and red soy bean curb. You know the dessert? That's one of my favorite dessert in my hometown Shanghai. Love this dessert along with sweet osmanthus syrup, yummy yummy

[Reply]
Angie's Recipes 7/4/09 13:32

@chumpman
Yes, I know that tasty lotus dessert called 'Osmanthus Lotus'. Lotus root and pork as a soup is also a regular summer soup for the family.

[Reply]
3 hungry tummies 13/11/09 06:53

I only know how to put it in soup til now, thanks for the recipe!

[Reply]
Anonymous 14/11/14 11:31
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[Reply]


As always, any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you may have are welcome and greatly appreciated. Please remember to use the "Name/Url" when commenting rather than linking to your profile page for more exposure!

Add to Google

Angie

Angie's Recipes

Angie's Recipes is an interactive blog dedicated to sharing yummy & creative recipes, helpful cooking hints and tips. Enjoy your visit and spread the word!


If you enjoy my recipes and want to support me, THANKS!

Friends

Join Us

angiesrecipes
skip to top

skip to top